Saturday, August 9, 2008

Planning to Get the Vanagon

The seller lives in Reno, which is 1100 miles from me, so I needed to fly to Reno and drive it home, over a weekend. He said he would accept a personal check, which I could bring with me.

He then said "I have an idea, I can drive it to Moab UT, and you can get it from me there," At first I thought this was a great idea, because Moab is only 1/3 as far as Reno. However, he told me WHY he was going to Moab [he and his fiancee were getting married there; he could drive the Vanagon, she could drive her car].

I told him, "I appreciate the offer, but I think your fiancee would be happier if both of you could ride in one car to out Moab. So, in the interest of you starting your marriage off on the right foot, I'd rather just come to Reno to get it." [maybe FINALLY some of my Dad's wisdom has rubbed off on me.] He agreed, so I was determined to go to Reno. Several other people wanted the Vanagon, but I was the only one who could come get it before they left for Moab and their wedding ceremony.

The Reno plan looked fine. My cousin Dan and his wife Jude live in Carson City, which is just south of Reno. They said they'd be in the Reno area [coming back from a camping trip] that day and could pick me up from the airport, so all was well.

The drive wasn't complicated [US 395 south to I-15/I-40 eastbound.], it would just be hot because it was August.

No comments: