Saturday, August 9, 2008

Getting it home I - Flying to Reno (8/1/08)

The flight left Albuquerque to Salt Lake City about 45 minutes late, and I was somewhat converned that I would not be able to make the connection to Reno. However, upon arrival in Salt Lake City airport, I saw that the gate for the flight to Reno was just a few feet away and was in the process of boarding, so I got on without any problems.

Dan and Jude picked me up at Reno airport, and found a place to picnic alongside the Truckee River to wait for the Vanagon's seller to show up. Dan and Jude then headed home and I rode with the seller to his house and picked up the paperwork. I gave him a cashier's check instead of a personal check, so it would clear faster, and thus they could use the money on their vacation. He let me leave the Nevada license plates on the car for the drive home [so I wouldn't get stopped by every single cop along the way]. I then stopped at an auto parts store to get oil...3 GALLONS of it!

Since I flown into Reno on carryon-only [so I could get out of the airport quicker], I needed some tools...a little insurance for the drive home. While I looked at tools in the auto parts store, I decided to try the 'Everything is $1' type store across the street. I asked a worker there if they had any tools, and he said "no", and looked at me like I was crazy. Well, despite his reaction I looked and did find an adjustable ["crescent"] wrench, slipjoint pliers, lineman's pliers, and a phillips/flat screwdriver set, for a total of $4. I would have paid about $50 for the same tools at the auto parts store.

By the time I got to Dan and Jude's house in Carson City, it was about 10pm, so we talked only a short time before calling it a night.

No comments: