Saturday, September 20, 2008

Air conditioning?

The Vanagon's air conditioning system is an afterthought....an assembly bolted to the ceiling at the rear of the van. With the engine in the back and the radiator in the front, there is a lot of tubing, as well as a rear to front air duct that brings the cooled air forward. Not very efficient but better than nothing.

The seller was going to replace the existing clamshell [which holds the assembly to the ceiling] and had already bought another one in the junkyard.

I removd the old clamshell and discovered that the mounting bracket that supported the twin fans has cracked in several places. Some attempts had been made to fix them, but the bracket was in pretty sad shape. I repaired it using aluminum sheeting [from an old license plate], steel sheeting [from a joist hanger], sandwiched together with Liquid Nails and pop-rivets.

My father in law Salvador says I'm skilled at "mexicanadas" [simple yet effective jerryrigging], so I know he would laugh if he saw it. Using Liquid Nails again I glued the bracket to the clamshell so there won't be the vibration [when the fan was working] that I remember on the trip from Reno. Also I am replacing the clamshell's thin insulation with mylar-covered bubblewrap insulation. So. it will do a better job of distributing cool air.

No comments: