Saturday, September 20, 2008

Time to replace the engine??

When I bought the Vanagon, I knew its engine had serious problems and would need to be replaced. That's one of the reasons I got it so cheap. I thought it was a worthwhile risk...and it did get me all the way home! I've overhauled 7 or 8 engines before, so that part wasn't too overwhelming.

Considering that the Vanagon's oil pressure light came on a few times on the drive home, and that the engine was using so much oil, I thought that it might be better to find a replacement engine for it. [I could always disassemble the current engine at a later time and find out what was wrong with it.]

In Japan, the Goverment slaps very high taxes on vehicles once they have more than 65000 miles on them, so a large industry has been created by people who disassemble these Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) vehicles and ship the parts all over the world. Subaru engines are barely broken in at 65,000 miles, so I decided that this might be a good engine source.

After a few weeks, I found a JDM engine located in the Midwest on Ebay for a good price, and arranged to have it shipped to me.

No comments: